- Ernst is the highest ranking woman in the US Senate, having been elected by her peers to serve as Vice Chairman of the Senate Republican Conference.
- Ernst served in the US Army and US army Reserves from 1993 to 2015, making her the first female Republican Veteran to serve in the US Senate.
- In 2014 she was the only woman in the five-way Republican primary for US Senate which she won with an impressive 56.12% of the vote.
- Her victory in the 2014 general election, Ernst became the first woman to represent Iowa in the US House or US Senate.
- Ernst made history again in January 2019 when she and Sen. Marsha Blackburn became the first two female Republicans appointed to the Senate Judiciary Committee.