- A stockbroker by trade, served as a Councilwoman and Mayor of Laguna Niguel from 1996-2004.
- Elected in 2004 to the California State Assembly, serving until elected to the California State Senate in 2008.
- Won a US House seat in 2014 with 65.1% of the vote.
- During that campaign, she gave $128,250 of her campaign contributions to help Republican candidates in other competitive districts.
- Selected by her freshman class members as their appointed member to the influential House Steering Committee.